Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)

I received my TDS meter this week and have been doing various tests: my tanks, tap, RO, and RO with crushed coral. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of charged ions (minerals, salts, or metals) dissolved in water, and is expressed in parts per million (ppm). TDS may help with the coloration of shrimp; however, if it is too high, shrimp may have difficult time molting properly. From what I've gathered from other breeders, the ideal range should be between 150 - 220 ppm.

TDS Meter and Calibration Solution
My current readings:
Tap: 236 ppm
RO: 8 ppm
RO w/crushed coral: 72 ppm
Tanks: 59 ppm (lowest) - 133 ppm (highest)

My tanks are not in the range above due to the use of RO water primarily for water changes and top offs, but now I will gradually add tap water to bring the TDS up.

No comments:

Post a Comment